Skip to main content

How this all started.


In 2005 I joined Ancestry.

But that is not how my interest (nay occasional obsession) with my family roots began.

My father used to tell me family lore when we were spending time together in my youth, which seemed gravely important to me at the time. That he would take me aside and tell me family tales really grabbed my attention and are some of my dearest memories with him.

And I suppose growing up in Arlington, Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C., I had the impression of history being all around me. Not just the museums and historic sites but the experience of going there, multiple times and getting to know these places. The Clara Barton House, Old Town Alexandria, the streets of Georgetown, Arlington Cemetery, and countless battlefields. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting a place and then reading every biography I could get my hand on regarding the people who lived there or helped shape a moment in time in that place. I still do.

As I have researched and uncovered our actual family history, some of what my father had passed down to me was not even close to true and some of what I have uncovered has supported the family folklore. Other facts, that I discovered for myself, have been a case of truth being stranger and more interesting than fiction.

For example, I am not related to Oliver Wendell Holmes as my father believed, (at least if I am, it is that general way in which we are all ultimately related). However, it turns out I am very much related to Henry David Thoreau.

And I left my childhood under the impression I am deeply Scottish on my father's side and English with some Welsh on my mother's. As it turns out, I am predominantly English and Lowlands Scottish but have been in America for so long that I am really really American. Another surprise, the Scotch is as much from my mom's side as my dad's. So much for last names pointing me in the right direction. And I learned that Dad was correct, my mother's family descend from early Virginia settlers. However he did not know that these early Virginians were French Huguenots. In uncovering this (mostly tragic) tale I read about one of the most exciting stories I have uncovered so far. But I digress.

I also I thought my maternal grandmother, Bernice Allen, was from a Welsh family that just sailed here to join with their LDS brothers and sisters. This was in part true. However part of her family was already in the US for generations as Quakers living in Philadelphia. Some of them were from Germany but many of them were English. When I lived in Philly - I had no idea - I actually visited a graveyard my ancestor was buried in without knowing he was there. (Make no mistake, I will go back and see Isaac Kite's grave formally with flowers next time....incidentally he left the Society of Friends to fight for the American Revolution...another story).

Dad also told me I was related to royalty in England - to be specific the Spencer family (as in Princess Diana) - but again that has turned out to be one of those storylines that has not yielded much fact. There was a Spencer, but his connection to anything beyond a boat bringing him to the British colonies is a phantom thread.

I should also mention that my fathers stories were not the only thing that peaked my interest in researching my roots. As a teenager, I came across a stack of documents for an ancestry project my brother did (for a Boy Scout badge). One envelope contained information about my maternal grandmother's family: photocopies of ancestors' portraits provided by the LDS church.  Another envelope tucked away with this contained data about my maternal grandfather's family - this was a document outlining my 2nd Great Aunt Addie May Peak's history of her ancestors. If I recall correctly, it was part of her DAR application. But she had put more into it than just tracing her way to the American Revolution. I was fascinated by these documents and hung onto them. So in 2005 I joined Ancestry to see how much of what Addie May Peak wrote could be proved. I have to say she had an impressive amount of accurate information for the pre-internet, pre-Ancestry.com days.

I did take a few year hiatus when I had small children, but I have come back to the research, armed with DNA tests, with a new fervor over the last few years.

Through this process, I have been introduced to ancestors who may not be famous or important to anyone else but I have their images, their poem to a grandchild, their military records, and it has all become precious to me. I have met living ancestors no one knew we had. I have read about a few people that helped shape and found the very state I live in (Maryland). I have met founders of Universities. I have met many farmers and soldiers. I have met abolitionists and unfortunately, a couple of slave owners. I have read countless death certificates and have been fascinated, as a medical professional and someone not directly connect to the unfortunate illness, at the terms used for various ailments.

For a moment let me go back to those LDS portraits: the faces of people, my blood relatives, that endured pioneering across the United States to join their brethren in a new Zion. It was one thing to know that some had fled a life of coal mining in Wales to come to the U.S. to join with those of their faith. They came over here and then had to walk to Utah to live out their lives. (There was no covered wagon for those folks. They pushed a handcart with their belongings and made their way across the Rockies). That choice makes intellectual sense to someone who has never had to step into a coal mine. But as previously mentioned only a few of them were fleeing a life of poverty in Wales. Some descended from Plymouth Colony and were not fleeing a life of coal mines. They were just following the path of those that deeply believe.

This has been a recurrent theme. I came across one Quaker or Friend who was jailed repeatedly for his beliefs and of course all of his belongings were confiscated to boot. And he did not give up. Her persevered. Not to mention why the Huguenots left France for Virginia. And so on. Many  true believers of different stripes but I find the theme striking. From where I sit many of these stories seem to be bursting with courage.

As my discoveries have built way beyond Addie May Peak's outline, I felt a growing need to share them. At first I just kept harassing my husband with stories of my ancestors. Not his thing. Ultimately, I was so excited about some of my discoveries that I started randomly emailing them to my mother and brother as well as unsuspecting cousins and aunts-uncles. I then progressed to starting some Facebook groups for each of my families, maternal and paternal, to post pictures and stories that may interest them. Or maybe just make them wonder if I have any normal hobbies, like knitting or chess. I have also entertained compiling my research into a book and while I have not discounted that, a blog seems like a nice place to start (or finish) that idea. I mean I have 1,675 people on my tree and often I skip adding siblings of direct ancestors just because...it just gets overwhelming.

So here we are.

I leave you with a portrait of a kindred spirit, Addie May Peak, the 2nd-great aunt, from mom's side, who helped inspire this craziness. May her memory, and that of all of our ancestors, be a Blessing.


From here my plan is to...
1. First, unpack the military history of my mother's family in honor of my cousin, Oliver, who is currently an officer with the U.S. Marines. Hooyah!

2. Then it goes to follow I will do the same for my father's family.

3. Then I will go through and unpack some of the more interesting tales and tidbits I have discovered along the way. Like the story of Isaac Kite that I mentioned. There is the connection to the Harvard Butter Rebellion. And the tale of Sarah White, of the Wampanoag. The Faure family and the oldest Revolutionary War Soldier I know of.... so many things

4. Of course I will illuminate connections to famous people. Short list.

5. Then I will see about making connections to official historical societies. Maybe. They have to be worth while because my life is definitely complete without an official DAR membership. No offense.

6. Finally, I have that ancestor, Samuel Wright is his name, who helped shape Maryland's history. He has no grave marker or plaque where he lived - I visited last summer - and I would like to fill out the appropriate forms to apply for this be rectified.

Until then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah Burgett 4th Great-Grandfather, Paternal

 Isaiah Burgett was born July 20, 1808 in New York, possibly New York City, to Milberry Burgett of Schoharie County, NY and Sarah Andrews, of Connecticut. Isaiah Married Betsy Parker on September 17, 1829 in Harpersfield, Ohio. They had 9 children together including my 3rd great-grandfather, Alphonso Burgett. Sometimes family trees can get muddled and it is always reassuring to have a DNA test that supports a direct connection, as I do here with Isaiah.  A family story passed down from a book, “Memorial to the Pioneer Women of the Western Reserve” tells that after being married in Harpersfield the couple moved to Trumbull, Ohio in 1832. They built one of the first framed houses on the town line road. This book reports they had 10 children and lived out their lives in Ohio. His father, Milberry Burgett, had fought in the War of 1812 and his grandfather, Jehoiakim Burgett, had fought in the American Revolutionary War.  The family was originally settled in the Albany area and the original

Meet an Ancestor, Frank Dunbar

  Meet an ancestor. I have been busy going back through my roots, correcting errors. Sometimes the paperwork on a persons life has them stationary - they were born on a farm and lived on a farm and died on a farm and do not get me wrong it is admirable but ....it is so hard to tell much about them as a person. Here is an exception to the rule: Meet Frank Dunbar. A man who lived in 5 different states or territories and did many different things in his 74 years. He is my 2nd great grandfather. Franklin A. Dunbar was born on August 11, 1838, in Brighton, Ohio, to Hosea and Sally Eaton Dunbar. He was a solider for the Union Army in the American Civil War and enlisted October 9, 1861 in Chicago as a private. He mustered out as a Corporal having served with Company G, 9th Illinois Cavalry Regiment until Oct 11, 1864. He married (Lourena) Anna Self sometime before 1870. Together they had seven children and at least 5 lived to adulthood. In 1870 he and Anna were living in the Montana territor